Thursday 3 September 2009

Genealogy

I have been seeking the cohesive thread of my PhD through writing, playing and exploring. The idea I have latched upon is to create a genealogy of ideas, texts and films that examine, represent and explore female masochism. So far, so good. But then the questions start.

What does genealogy mean generally?
It makes me think of family trees. The idea of a line of descent that is traced continuously from an ancestor through to more contemporary texts.

How do I hope to use it? How will it benefit me?
I want to examine the genealogy of discourses surrounding female masochism. By this, I mean that I want to see how the varying arguments fit together, how texts (I am using this in the broadest possible sense to refer to theoretical works, medical ideas and other cultural products) influence one another, and whether it is possible to trace some kind of genealogy. Or would using the term 'history' be more useful?

I am going to finish this post with some questions because that is where my head is at at the moment.
  • What is the difference between a history of discourses on x and a genealogy of discourses on x?
  • Is the concept of a genealogy useful?
  • Which theorists should I use if looking into this idea of genealogy, as a way of referring to the influence and cross referencing that occurs between texts?
  • Does self-awareness that a text belongs to a specific discourse suggest that it is possible to trace its genealogy?
If anyone has any thoughts on any of these issues, I would be interested to read your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment