Tuesday 11 August 2009

Welcome to Corporealities

What is the aim of this blog?

I am a first-year PhD student working in the field of Sexuality and Gender Studies. I want to use this blog as a playground, an interactive notebook and as a way to help allay my nerves about writing for an audience. As such unlike the remit of my PhD, Corporealities will not have a narrow focus but is rather a place for me to test out ideas, find new ways of expression and write about those books, films and ephemera that seize my imagination.


Why is this blog called 'Corporealities'?

It embraces the idea that one only conceive of ideas from a state of embodiment. This notion draws together my main research interests, which include: representing the sexual body, non-normative sexualities, different relationship practices, body image, the fat body, food, cooking and clothing.

It also suggests different ways of relating to 'reality'. There are multiple realities. We each have our own interpretation and sense of 'reality' that can vary moment to moment. I am interested in those transitional moments - the in-between spaces - where someone is neither asleep nor awake, particularly dreams.


Why have I started this blog now?

Since I started my PhD 10 months ago, I have been thinking of starting a blog along similar lines to Corporealities, though I kept finding excuses about why it wouldn't be a good idea. Yesterday I read Hugh McGuire's article on 'Why Academics Should Blog (redux)' and thought why not. I want to improve my ideas, practice my writing skills in a less rigid form and write about topics that are not always appropriate or relevant for my thesis. So thank you Hugh McGuire, you've inspired at least one fledgling academic to follow your advice.

Happy reading and may this blog see me through to at least the end of my PhD.

No comments:

Post a Comment